|Source||Chef Paul Lee|
4 cFlour (for pastry dough)
1⁄2 tBaking powder (for pastry dough)
2 tSalt (for pastry dough)
1Egg (for pastry dough)
3 Tlemon juice (for pastry dough)
1 1⁄2 cSugar (for filling)
1 tSalt (for filling)
2 tcinnamon (for filling, ground)
1⁄2 tCloves (for filling, ground)
4Eggs (for filling, large)
1 cnPumpkin (for filling)
24 ozEvaporated milk (for filling)
Fool Proof Pastry Dough
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut the shortening into the flour avoiding over-mixing.
- Break egg into a cup and add enough water to make 8 oz. Add lemon juice. Make a well in the center of the dry mix, add the liquid and quickly blend.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and pat into 2 round disks. Wrap and chill slightly. Return to board and roll into a circle to fit the pie pan.
- Lay the dough in the pan, carefully pushing the dough up the side. Dough will shrink slightly and pull to the bottom, so this step is very important. Trim excess dough and crimp border. Chill for 1 hour.
Building and Filling
- Combine the sugar and spices.
- Combine beaten eggs and pumpkin, and blend in the spice mix.
- Blend in the milk.
- Fill your pastry shells with pumpkin filling.
- Bake at 425°F for approximately 15 minutes then reduce temp to 350°F for approximately 25 minutes until filling is set to a jiggle in the center.
- Cool before slicing.
- For the chantilly, whisk chilled heavy cream; add sugar and vanilla to taste. For a variation, add maple syrup instead of sugar, or bourbon in place of vanilla.